Paediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS-one day)
This course, like all our courses is highly practical. There is an emphasis on good team planning, preparation and rehearsal of medical emergencies in a simulated context. This course is ideal for any health professional who may have to recognise and initially treat seriously ill children such as rural GPs, Urgent Care Physicians, emergency department staff, paramedics, registered nurses and remote site medics. It is recommended participants hold NZRC CORE, or ALS certification or paediatric basic life support certification prior to attending this course. On-line pre-course material prepare you for this course.
While all our standard courses have a small component of paediatric resuscitation, the Advanced Paediatric Life Support course expands on the fundamental skills of resuscitation and presents several common life threatening medical emergency topics and how to manage them.
There is an emphasis on good team work, preparation and early recognition of the seriously ill child who is deteriorating. All within a simulated environment. Course numbers are limited to ensure maximum benefit is gained during hands-on time.
- Advanced Airway Management
- Non-invasive ventilation strategies
- Vascular access techniques such as Intra-osseous systems
- Management of life threatening asthma
- Management of anaphylaxis
- Management of sepsis
- Management of cardiac arrhythmia (brady/tachyarrhythmia)
- Management of status epilepticus
- Principles of good team work and crisis management.
- Preparation of seriously ill child for MEDEVAC